Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Murals and Flowers of Lompoc, California: Part I

At first glance, Lompoc, California, looks like a farming community.  It is situated just north and east of Santa Barbara.  But look again, and you will see some incredible sights - painted on the sides of buildings, garage doors in alley ways, and on fences.  Obviously there is more to this town than meets the eye.  And some very talented artists.  I am first going to show you the flowers of Lompoc, in an alley, near an art store, painted on garage doors...


In between two of the doors was a walkway, and on one side of the entrance was this - 

 On the other side of the alley stood the back and one side of the art gallery...


Opposite this side was the entrance to the store with its painted window boxes, and guess who?  Along with the flower box, there were beautiful real roses and other flowers along the way...
In the front, facing the street, inside the gallery, was a very interesting painting of the face of the Statue of Liberty, which I was able to capture...
Across the street and in the yard between the yellow building and the Historical Museum, is a mural of one of the several missions that existed in this area...the flowers in front of it are real.
This incident probably put the entire town on edge, especially the men, when it happened...
Lompoc is near the coast, and has several very nice beaches to walk and hike on.  This mural was across from the one above...
Lompoc's veterans along with one of the major crops around the area, flowers, are depicted here...
Across the street, as I showed in my last blog, is a lovely little park, planted in a natural California setting...along with California poppies, geraniums, and other flowers, there were benches facing the gorgeous mural...I also got the feeling that the monarch butterflies migrate through Lompoc...
Crossing the street once again, Marty was standing looking at this truly awesome mural.  I couldn't capture it in one photo, so I took many, some close up...it is a heart-stopping tribute to all those who fought in the fourteen (I think I am right) wars the USA and its men and women fought in...Those wars were enumerated across the very bottom of the mural, where I was unable to get good pictures...








This mural is on one wall!!  Marty and I thought that maybe some of the faces in this mural were veterans from Lompoc.

I am going to end this section here.  All I can say is God Bless our veterans, God Bless America, and God Bless all of you.

Life is good,
I love you,
Sally
 

No comments: