Friday, July 20, 2012

Parades...P.S...

After I finished my parade blog and I was lying in bed going over my day, I realized that there was one parade I had not written about - the most unique parade I have ever seen.


A couple of years ago I went to Los Angles to see Phil and Gihan.  It was February, and Mardi Gras time.  Phil and I went to Venice Beach to have breakfast and then to watch the Venice Beach Mardi Gras Parade.
In the past, Phil had marched in it, as Yoda, in costume and with an instrument.  He was part of the band.  He had decided that he wasn't going to do that anymore.  Time to grow up, I think he quietly said to me. 

Around 12 noon, we left our outside table, and started walking the Venice Beach boardwalk, which I have always loved.  Being a people watcher, I could sit all day and probably see just about any kind of person, dressed in any kind of outfit, walking, riding bikes, skating, sunbathing, exercising, buying food, souvenirs, crafts.  Also hearing many languages being spoken, as people wandered by, some who lived in there,  and some who wanted to see Venice Beach and all its characters.  


We saw Jon McBride getting ready to march.  Phil and Jon had a band, The Bandanas, in middle and high school, back in Sudbury, MA. 
Jon lives in Venice Beach, and Phil at one time lived there also.

The parade marched down several blocks and then came back up.  The marchers were dressed in gaudy bright costumes, both men and women, with great smiles on every face.  They were having a wonderful time and I am sure that many of them have participated in this parade for years.

The costumes and the people dressed in them were quite different than any of the other parades I have seen in my 72 years on this earth.  I guess you would say, they were unique, at least for me...

Everyone was happy and I am sure parties went on far into the night.  This guy had a perfect view of the parade and crowd...Wouldn't you just love to know what he is thinking?
As Phil and I started to walk back to his car, this human tree was leaning against a fence silently observing the crowd...
Indeed this was the most unique parade I have had the pleasure of watching.  If you are ever in Los Angeles near Mardi Gras time, find out when the Venice Beach Mardi Gras parade is going to be...everyone needs to enjoy it at least once.

Life is good!
I love you all,
Sally


No comments: