Sunday, August 26, 2012

Colorado - Part 2

Today, we have bright blue skies, with a scattering of clouds on the horizon.  And it is heating up.

Back to Colorado - Redstone is a quaint little town that has come back after years of neglect.  At one time, Redstone was a coal mining town, and the owner of the coal mines built himself a castle in the hills, now known as Redstone Castle - no longer occupied, it has become a tourist attraction, and regular tours go up to see it.  The now Redstone Inn...
was the dormitory for the single men who were miners.  It is a beautiful structure, situated at one end of the town.  We had lunch there.  It is very busy and contains many old pictures and artifacts from the past.  Curiously, or perhaps looking into the future or the past, was this chrome knight...

There is one main street, with cute little houses and stores on either side.  The houses were originally built for miners who were married and had families.  Now they are painted beautiful colors, with flowers and statues and stained glass.  Almost all have hummingbird feeders. 


There is a general store with three parts - first is the main room which carries some groceries, coffee, snacks, etc.  Second, is the liquor store, which you have to go out of the main room, go in another door, and there is the same person at another cash register to ring up your purchase.  Now if you want ice cream (and of course you know who loves ice cream), you go back in the main store, walk to the back, where the flavors are listed.  The same woman walks through a half door, and takes your order and puts your money in a third cash register.  

There are several restaurants on the street.  None as posh and fancy as the Inn, but good food nevertheless.  And all have other things going on, such as gift shops, sale of fishing things, rental of bikes and canoes.  Louise and Joe met me for breakfast the day I was leaving.  We had a good breakfast in this little downhome restaurant, where you could sit outside next to the Crystal River or stay inside.  I was looking at some of the things for sale, when I spied these beans...

They were called Anasazi beans, originally found in the cliff dwellings of the Anasazi Indians, and still used today.  As I read on about them, I discovered that they were also called Jacob's Cattle Beans, the very same ones I used for my baked beans and only could find in Maine.  I used to bring home ten pounds at a time when Bob and I would go to Maine.  This time I bought only a pound.  But I was delighted to find them and learn about their history.

There is no gas station in the town, and one has to drive sixteen miles north to Carbondale to fill up.  Louise warned me about this, so I filled up after I got over the Million Dollar Highway, and was driving the McClure pass to my destination.  

My little motel - the Crystal Valley Manor - was very cute, right on the main street of Redstone.  Here there were hummingbird feeders  straight across the first and second floors.  


And the historic Crystal River ran along the entire town and by my motel...
At the end of Redstone's main street, about a mile or so from the Inn, is this sign...

Just at the turn going into Redstone are, what I eventually found out, coke ovens, used in the coal mining enterprise.  Some are falling apart, others have been restored.  It is a strange site for people like me, as I had never seen coke ovens before, and actually will have to look them up on Google to see what they were used for...




The day before I left, Jeff and Jean and Julie were breaking camp as they had rented a house between Marble and Redstone, because their married daughter and family were coming in that evening.  They live in Richmond, Virginia.  It was very interesting watching  the process - which I could see was a very organized one.  Everything had its place, either in the camper, or in the truck.  What really fascinated was watching Jeff and Julie, with help from Jean and Joe, tuck the camper away ...




Always around were the chipmunks, and they were spoiled by these guys - grapes, cherries, apples and peanuts were put out for them.  I love chipmunks.  I remember them so well went I was at Camp Lake Hubert in Minnesota.  We used to be able to get them to take food  out of our hands.  I managed to get a couple of pics of them hanging out...


Leaving Redstone and the campground, I rejoiced in the fact that I finally understood the attraction of this area for Louise and Joe.  They have made some very good friends in various places, and always try to see them when they come back.  One of Joe's sons has a summer place in Carbondale also.

The first part of my drive back was back up through the McClure Pass...

Further up the pass, I stopped and looked back...

What a beautiful sight!  Further on I passed a lake.  I don't know if it is man made or natural, but like most reservoirs and lakes everywhere this year, it is very low...


Regrettably, I did not take the Million Dollar Highway back.  I took a different route, one that I didn't find as beautiful and interesting as the MDH.  And it took me about two hours longer.  Getting back on the highway in New Mexico east to I 25, I passed these plateaus, which I believe are part of the Colorado plateau...and are very beautiful.  I love the striations in the rock, indicating different ages and events...




Matilda and I made it back from our wonderful trip to Colorado, and I will go back there again, perhaps next year when Louise and Joe once again pack up and come to the Western Slopes.  I want to go up on the Grand Mesa.  I want to drive I 70, supposed to be the most beautiful interstate.  For now, I am enjoying my memories, the most important one being that Louise and I have been friends since third grade, at Hawley Elementary School in Fort Dodge Iowa when I wore red glasses.

Life is good.
I love you all,
Sally



No comments: