Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The Best of the Best...!

I have finally gotten over Trump's victory and the loss of my blog posts.  No more whining about either -although I am watching very closely at him and his "tweets".

Now I want to tell you more about my trip in May-June, and the foods I found that I thought were the best I have tasted.  As many of you know, I said that I was going on a search for the best pie, the best ice cream, and the best tenderloin sandwich.



THE BEST HOMEMADE ICE CREAM

I found three that I would put in the Very Best category.  The first ice cream I had was from Chesapeake Bay Dairy.  It was peach, lots of peach, and very smooth and creamy.  They were at the Chincoteague Flea Market.  The owner was also selling her cheeses and her milk.  Wonderful, all of them.

The second place -When I was at Kat's house at Wellfleet, MA, on Cape Cod, I went to the The Sweet Escape on Route 6, near her home.  They had incredible flavors, and I thought two of them were super-Pomegranate Chocolate and Lemon Supreme - all made on premises. Because I loved them both so much, I had to come back for more.

The third place - The New City Microcreamery in Hudson, MA.
Siobhan and Pat took me there, and the coffee ice cream was REAL coffee ice cream.  Great flavor - all made on premises and nitro-infused.

Related to Ice Cream - The Best Waffle Cone - my vote goes to an Ice Cream Shop in Chincoteague.  It boasts the best ice cream - to which I did not agree - however, they made their Waffle Cones in-house, the best I have ever tasted.

THE BEST HOMEMADE PIE 

I sampled many pies on my journey, but I found nothing was as good as Magdalena Cafe's pies.  Their Rhubarb-Cherry pie is incredible.  Magdalena Cafe by the way, is in Magdalena, NM about 20 miles west of me and I go there often!!

THE BEST FISH TACOS

The Catch of Day in South Wellfleet, Cape Cod, MA, has THE best fish tacos I have eaten.  Kat took me there while I was at her house.  I think the secret is that the fish is fried, and then sliced, and put in the taco, so when you take a bite, you don't get the entire fish stuffed into your mouth!


THE BEST BREAKFAST SAUSAGE

I had breakfast in Gutenburg, Iowa before continuing on to the Effigy Mounds.  It definitely was a hometown favorite.  I ordered eggs and sausage.  The sausage was homemade and the best I have ever eaten!  Rauch's Cafe!


BEST PORK TENDERLOIN SANDWICH

I have always loved Port Tenderloin Sandwichs.  And Iowa is famous for them.  Louise and Joe told me they were taking me to a place they knew I would love - Fat Randy's in Van Meter, Iowa. OMG - the tenderloin sandwich was amazing, in a tiny town, in a pub.  Definitely THE best tenderloin sandwich I have ever had.    Notice the tenderloin extending on both sides of the bun!!!!



 BEST HOMEMADE HAMBURGER

When I passed through Hill City, SD, I passed a diner and getting hungry, turned around and parked and went in.  I could feel good vibes with the staff and the diners.  The Hubcap Diner's homemade hamburger was the best I have had for a very long time.  Home made meaning made into a thick patty right before it is cooked.
I have had all kinds of hamburgers in my life but I can't remember having one this good.

THE BEST IN-ROOM COFFEE

At the Black Hills Best Western Lodge, SD,  like I do most times when I travel, I immediately made a cup of coffee.  Usually those packs of coffee you get are really terrible.  I am not sure what kind coffee it  was, but it was REAL COFFEE with a REAL COFFEE FLAVOR.  I do wish that I had written down the name of the coffee.  Maybe I will just call them and find out!

These are my Best of the Best foods as I traveled the highways.  I haven't blogged for a long time, but I wanted to get this one done before I do any more.

Enjoy, and look up these places when you are traveling, or discover some more Best of the Best!

No comments: