Monday, March 12, 2012

Before I put up any comments or pics of the wedding, I wanted to share a few pictures and thoughts about Lemitar and Socorro and the goings on there before I left for my trip east.

Last fall I showed some pictures of the area where the mission church in Lemitar collapsed. About two weeks ago, there was a ground breaking ceremony for the rebuilding of it. It is one of eight missions in surrounding towns which are part of the main mission, San Miguel, in Socorro. Edna, Mike, and I went to the ground breaking. Below is the artist's rendering of the new mission (top) and a photo of the old mission below it.


There was a little service, with the priest of San Miguel, who actually also goes to each mission church for services, along with the Albuquerque Bishop's representative, helping out...


The shovels were already in the ground, and the holy water poured into containers...



About eight or ten people took up the containers of holy water and walked the length of the lot and back again sprinkling the grounds...



...then various groups were called up to break the ground. These are the men who are going to build the new mission...


The ceremony ended with a song. Mike is the man in the green shirt, singing along with the rest of the crowd...


Edna, Mike, and I went to a wonderful show at TECH. Every year there is an Irish themed show. This year they had Cathie Ryan and her band. She is from Michigan and spent nearly every summer during her school years staying with her grandparents in Ireland. She is a composer and singer of Irish music and has a wonderful voice. She also plays the bodhran (an Irish drum). With her were two guys - one a fantastic fiddler, who was taking a break from RIVERDANCE, and was traveling with Cathie and her guitarist, a great musician in his own right from Ireland. It was a very special evening, and we all left smiling...


A week or two before Edna and Mike arrived, I went to listen to Deborah Branch portray Jeannette Rankin, the first woman elected to the US House of Representatives from Wyoming. Ms. Branch is an actress and has done all the research and writing for her show. She did a magnificent job, changing hats, coats, scarves, as she acted the part of Rankin during different time periods. Unfortunately, the show was not well attended. Perhaps too much was going on that day, or it hadn't been well advertised...



I have been meaning to show you all a neat little play area off the Plaza. The area also commemorates Socorro's servicemen, so the play area has a military theme, and is quite creatively done. There is a jeep (not a real one) to climb on and hang from; a tiny airplane on a spring in which parents can put small children to bounce on; and a gym set for climbing...



I seem to find pyramids on my journeys, and in the same area, there was one, placed there by a service organization, honoring the area servicemen...


The day before I left on my drive east, my friend Pam from Magdalena met me in Socorro at the Coffee House. I ordered hot chocolate and this is what I was presented with - isn't it beautiful?


Next up, Rae and Bryan's wedding...

I love you all,
Sally




comm

No comments: