Saturday, May 21, 2016

Old Cape Cod

As I crossed the Bourne Bridge and followed Route 6 east, memories flooded my mind of all the times Bob and I and the kids came to Truro just before Memorial Day for two weeks, staying with friends the first year, then renting an old beach house next door to them, which was perfect for our gang of kids and friends.

Kat lives in Wellfleet, a wonderful village of restaurants and all types of art galleries and creative little gift stores.  Kat actually lives off of Route 6, before you get to the village signs.  It is a nice community of summer and year-round homes, with towering pines, many of which need to be cut down.  She bought an A frame house, empty for ten years, and with family, friends, and contractors, has made it her own...
Kat has great vision and can see beyond what is there.  She found a ton of windows, lights, doors, etc. and even a beautiful dining room table and six chairs at ReStore, as well as yard sales, flea markets, antique stores, and on and on. 

An extension was added so she has a very lovely kitchen and dining area.  Here you can see the extension outside, and the kitchen on the inside...
Also as you can see, her bedroom upstairs was also extended at the same time...


The bathroom was enlarged, and there sits a huge old four legged tub in the back...


with a wonderful dresser she found, repurposed into the sink...


... then a very modern toilet and glassed-in shower.  Something for everyone.  And with wonderful art work on the walls.

As an added convenience, she built an outside shower...

She has begun to do her magic with plantings and landscaping, which she has done with every house she has owned.  My dad also had a green thumb and I know he would be delighted to see what she is doing, and certainly give her pointers...Below are just a few of the many plants she has already put into the ground...



Sargeant Pepper, an adopted shelter small poodle, has finally gotten used to people coming and going, and is always happy to see them.  This wasn't so several years ago, and Kat has also done her magic with him...
Right now out in the driveway are two Kiwi Green Elements, Kat's and mine.  It is fun to see them together.  My Matilda certainly stands out from Kat's because I enliven my car with bumper stickers, whereas she has none on her car. 



Last night, along with her friend, Peter, we went to see MONEY MONSTER with George Clooney and Julia Roberts. It was well done, directed by Jody Foster, who has always been a favorite of mine.  The Wellfleet Drive-In is still showing movies, but now an indoor complex has been built also, showing four movies at a time.  That's where we went.

We always took the kids to the Wellfleet Drive-In when we were down here.  It was always fun.  When I was in high school, Fort Dodge also had a drive-in.

Today, Saturday, some much needed wash was done.  Kat had to do it as I can't get down either the inside or the outside stairs.  What is really wonderful is that she can hang clothes outside...

...I took the clothes down and folded them.  What a joy it is to have fresh smelling clothes.  I would love to do this at my Casita, but as soon as I hung anything up, it would probably become windy, and I would have fine sand dust coating everything!!!

I brought the last four boxes of Bob's LP's from Frank's house to Kat's.  So while I was working on this blog, she put on record after record and it energized both of us.  About 1PM, we went to have fish tacos at the CATCH OF THE DAY...truly the Best fish tacos I have ever had anyplace...my rating is A+++++!
We went to the hardware store, and then drove to Truro and had homemade ICE CREAM - another winner - made on site -Sweet Escape is part of Savory.  I had a scoop of Lemon Divine and one scoop of Pomegranate Dark Chocolate.  Both were outstanding, nice and tart, and I may have to go back and test them again!  My Rating of Sweet Escape Homemade Ice Cream - A+++ - right on par with Chesapeake Bay Dairy!


Life is good! 
I love you all!
Abrazos,
Sally




 

No comments: